Midland Quarry Products recently donated some granite marker-stones to Bagworth village as part of its plan to improve the entrances to the village. There are marker stones at all the entrances to the village, all with different inscriptions. The one pictured, which is located on Heath Road, has become known locally as "the kissing stones" - the name "Bageworde" is inscribed, being the name of the village as it appeared in the Doomsday Book of 1085. Markerstones are also positioned at the Barleston Road entrance to the village inscribed "the Village in the Forest" and on Station Road, inscribed "Over 160 years history of mine and rail".
Pictured in the photo is Steve Jones with Celia Mills - who had the original idea for the stones; Danny Parker - Treasurer, Bagworth Forward Group; and Stu Ball - Vice Chairman, Bagworth Parish Council.
08 April 2004